Shrugging Convenience

When I did my first trash diary blog, I found that one of the major areas where I create landfill waste was based on convenience food. These were things like granola bars, grab-and-go snacks, and coffees/teas that I bought on the go. This was the waste that I felt the guiltiest about because I knew that with a little more planning it could be easily avoided.

To limit this, I decided I needed to start doing two things:

1. Having snacks with me just in case
  2. Having coffee/tea with me just in case

Shelf Stable Snacks

I need to start making shelf-stable snacks that I can have in my backpack “just in case”. A big problem with my meal prep is that I only make and pack the amount of food I think I will need. On days when I’m extra hungry or am out longer than I thought, I need a snack in my bag that will stay good even if it doesn’t get consumed the day of. This will prevent package waste and also save me money from markups.

After looking into different options, I decided that the best option for me is going to be to make my own trail mix or granola at home. It’s nutritious, shelf-stable, filling, and I can customize it each time so that it is not boring. This first week I made this granola recipe . . . and it was delicious!

Homemade Granola
My first granola attempt!

Midday Coffee/Tea

My normal routine is to make a coffee in the morning when I wake up and then (around 11/12) have another coffee or tea to power through the afternoon. Usually, I end up buying one (which is expensive) and depending on if I have a to-go mug I often have to get a single-use cup, which is super wasteful. Changing this midday pick-me-up habit seems unlikely, so I decided to find a workaround.

The solution was to commit to having that midday drink be tea and to buy a to-go tea infusing mug. Part of my daily routine has changed to be that in the morning when I pack my lunch, I grab the mug and add whatever tea I am feeling that day. Luckily, hot water is easy to come by for me both at work and on campus at UVic!